Tuesday, May 15, 2012

15 Novel writing: Three ways to keep going when you’re stuck

There is an inevitable moment--and sometimes more than a moment--when you get stuck somewhere in your novel. For some of us, this happens in the first few pages. But it is more likely to occur later on, when you already have a story, you have characters you understand and care about, but you just... can’t... write.... another... word.

For times like these, I recommend the following tricks. I know they work, because I use them myself.

1.  Probably the easiest way to get un-stuck is to write a scene that you know you can do, even though it does not belong where you are chronologically. For example, in Pandora’s Children, I was stuck in the section where the Principal is recovering from his injuries but not sure what he will do next. This is because *I* wasn’t certain what he would do next.

At first I tried to solve this problem by inventing a diplomatic war with a leader to the north, but this did not fit either organically or dramatically. Since I knew what Zach was up to, however, I went ahead and started on the Road Men story. For some reason this jogged my brain, and I was able to move on to the Principal’s next actions, which included his attempts to improve long-distance communications in the District.

2.  A somewhat related technique that works particularly well if you are stuck near the beginning of the story is to write a scene or scenes that take place BEFORE the story begins. This can be very freeing, because you do not have to make this scene mesh with any other scene in the book. It can also be an excellent way to get to know your characters better.

I wrote many, many prequel scenes for the Pandora’s books. Some of them made it into the final publications, and some may turn up in part three. All of them gave me a better understanding of Zach and Will and the creation of the District.

3. If all else fails, my standby cure for writer’s block is to write one sentence every night before you go to bed. If you want to keep going beyond one sentence, that’s fine, and it’s common to find that sentence stretching into a paragraph or even a few pages. But the iron-clad rule is ONE SENTENCE EACH NIGHT. You aren’t allowed to go to sleep until you have done that.

I actually wrote most of the first draft of my YA novel, Going to See Grassy Ella, this way.Greengrass I didn’t have it particularly plotted out until I was pretty far along in the story. But I had two characters I adored, with voices I was very comfortable with. So I wrote a little bit each night until I finally had most of a complete story and was able to finish the rest of the book relatively easily.

Tomorrow, another special Blogathon post, this one on my “second act.”

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the helpful article, especially the "just one more sentence" rule -- although for people like me, who like to write long sentences (like this one, for example), that might not be as easy as it sounds. You mention "voice" at the end of your article. Would you please elaborate on that in a future article? I've heard about it a lot and I'm still not sure what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Dr. Dave. Voice is a tricky topic. Basically, in fiction it is the way a character or narrator speaks; in nonfiction, it is the way the writer tells the story--the sound of the words, the rhythm, the word choices, many things. Most good writers have a distinctive voice. (Think of Norman Mailer or Tom Wolfe.) I'll think more about this and see what I can put together.

      Delete
  2. Love this, especially writing a scene you know you can do. I am learning so much this Blogathon. Thanks for sharing this! I think it's time I do a round up of great posts and include this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tia. I'm glad you find the tips helpful, and I look forward to being included in a roundup of great posts!

      Delete
  3. It's interesting to read that some of these tips work for business writing, too.

    Thanks for sharing them!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcoome. And you know, bottom line: writing is writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KL, your last comment is greatly appreciated. About 90% of what I have been doing for the past 13 years is writing legal briefs dealing with constitutional issues for the federal courts, and many of the "briefs" I've written in complex capital murder appeals have been 300+ pages long. I'm now in the process of cleaning out my office and throwing away thousands of pages of my accumulated writing, but it's nice to hear that a professional like you would still characterize my work as "writing" -- especially because I've been paid a pretty good salary in exchange for all those words, and have also prevented a lot of heinous people from getting out of jail. Thankee, kindly.

      Delete
    2. Dr. Dave: if your writing had not been excellent, those heinous people would be out on the streets. So you're not only a true writer, you're a hero. With that chapter in your life drawing to a close, it's time to do some writing for yourself.

      Delete